You may think it’s a crazy idea that a food, something you ingest, could contain negative calories. Well it’s partially true. The food itself doesn’t contain negative calories if you were to look at the nutritional DNA of it, but when you eat it, it is digested as negative calories in your body. I will briefly explain how this works without getting too scientific…
Certain vegetables and fruits are made up of so little calories that it actually takes more energy to eat and process them in your body than the amount of calories they are made up of. Therefore, when you eat these foods, you are burning away the small amount of calories they contain without doing anything other than ingesting them!
Trying to lose weight and become healthier can be overwhelming with all the information available online and in books. If you’re floundering, you can seek help from a professional nutritionist, natural path or look into retreats like Chi of Life that offer both fitness and food education. Until then, making small changes like replacing your snacks with negative calories foods can be very beneficial to your journey.
Below is a short list of the many negative calorie foods you can eat when you get in that mood to snack, but are trying to be healthy:
- Celery: A great food to cut into sticks to carry around in your bag and keep on hand for those weak moments of cravings. Celery can also be chopped and added to many meals including a stir fry, stews and soups. It has anti-inflammatory benefits, and dietary fibre.
- Cucumber: This delicious green snack can be cut into slices and nibbled on in front of the television, thrown into a salad for a fresh crisp taste, or added to water for some extra flavor. Cucumbers are also a valuable antioxidant source, containing vitamin C, beta-carotene, and manganese.
- Asparagus: Although it’s not as common to eat asparagus raw, this vegetable goes with almost any dish. It’s known to help remove toxins (a great detox food) and can help boost your metabolism.
- Papaya: A sweeter snack for those who may not be as interested in vegetables. You can add this fruit to salad, smoothies or have it as the perfect snack to keep you satisfied through your health venture. Also, papaya contains a similar amount of vitamin C as oranges do.
- Coffee: Although you can’t eat it, it’s nice to know when you’re drinking your morning coffee, it’s being processed as negative calories in your body. Keep in mind, I am referring to black, plain coffee. Any sugar or milk/cream added will greatly increase the calorie content of your coffee. Having coffee black instead of all the additives in it can be one of the best steps towards a healthier lifestyle if you’re looking to lose weight.
Although it’s not recommended to only eat negative calorie foods, they are a great filler to snack on if you’re feeling peckish or add flavor without paying the cost of calories. A much better option than chips or cookies! The list of foods above can definitely help in aiding you towards a healthier lifestyle.